Thursday, January 15, 2015

Let's Meet Marsala

So by now I'm sure you have heard the buzz about this years' Pantone Color of the Year, Marsala. While I am a big fan of "wear whatever makes you feel great no matter the trends", I figured I would still take a look at Marsala.

The best way I have heard Marsala explained is as an earthy red. Last year's color, Radiant Orchid, was a lot easier to pin down. Ever since Marsala's debut I have seen many variations of the shade. But since Pantone is the one who chose the color, I'm going to stick with the swatch they supplied:



I decided to shuffle through my makeup collection to see what I could come up with.

 Below I have created some swatches of drugstore Marsala shaded goodness:



Some Marsala toned Lippies. 
Top Row- Left to Right: Kate Moss for Rimmel in 08, Revlon Matte Balm in Elusive, Revlon Matte Balm in Sultry, Maybelline Matte Lipstick in Lust for Blush, Covergirl Jumbo Gloss Balm in 225.
Bottom Row- Left to Right: Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Ravish, Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Obsession, Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Bordeaux, Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet, Maybelline 14hr Lipstick in Wine and Forever, Almay Liquid Lip Balm in Just Plum Good.






Underneath the lippies I swatched Maybelline Color Tattoo in Pomegranite Punk (left) and the wine color from Maybelline's Designer Chocolates Palette.







Maybelline Wine and Forevernail polish:

















Ideas of how to wear Marsala:
If you want to add Marsala into your makeup look there are two ways to add it into a look without being overbearing, and everyone can do it, even if they aren't super skilled in makeup, or their schedule doesn't allow for lots of makeup time.

1. Pop of Marsala: Use a little bit of a marsala shade into your crease.
2. Lipstick statement: Keep your eyes simple with just some mascara and eyeliner and use a marsala lipstick as a quick and trendy statement.
3. Marsala manicure

Do you plan on giving this color a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment